Mazda Canada Inc. is the distributor of Mazda vehicles in Canada (referred to hereafter as Mazda). Mazda is a subsidiary of Mazda Motor Corporation in Hiroshima, Japan and was established in 1968. Our automotive products are distributed in Canada through a network of dealers authorized by Mazda, which are independently owned and operated businesses, which may have their own privacy policies and procedures. You should contact your Mazda dealer for information about their privacy practices.
- What personal information does Mazda collect?
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual. Personal information consisting of the name, title or business address or business telephone number of an employee is not considered personal information. Mazda collects personal information in a number of ways and through a number of different media. Typically, Mazda will collect personal information directly from an individual, or indirectly through a Mazda dealer or affiliated Mazda Company, in one, or more, of the following circumstances:
- When a dealer discloses information to Mazda about a potential customer including that individual's name, address and contact details, for the purpose of ongoing communications relating to the potential purchase or lease of a Mazda product;
- At or following a test-drive when a dealer may disclose information from the individual's Driver's License to Mazda confirming the customer has a valid driver's license for insurance-related purposes;
- Once a customer purchases a new Mazda vehicle, when the dealer discloses information to Mazda, including the customer's name, address, contact and license details, for warranty administration and ongoing customer communications and vehicle service-related purposes;
- Once a customer arranges financing for a new vehicle through FinanciaLinx, when the dealer discloses information to Mazda for marketing and product development purposes, about the lease vehicle and financing information (which may constitute personal financial information if linked with other personal information).
- Through surveys, research and customer-initiated contact, to enable Mazda to constantly improve the quality of our product and service offerings;
- In the course of making available offers, incentives, marketing programs or promotional materials when Mazda may collect certain customer profile information to learn more about our existing and potential customers' preferences to better tailor our products and services to their ever-changing needs;
- On contest entry forms, so that Mazda can confirm contest winners' identities and obtain their contact information to communicate with them;
- When individuals provide Mazda with name and contact information by participating in "join our mailing list" initiatives;
- When contacting us for further information;
- When contacting us for test-drive registration;
- When registering for on-line services;
- For program verification purposes;
- By way of Mazda web sites, where individuals may be requested to provide name, address and contact information to enable us to communicate with them;
- And when an individual services their vehicle at a dealer, when this service information is disclosed to Mazda for marketing purposes.
Personal information collected by Mazda typically consists of basic contact information: name, title, home address, e-mail address, and telephone and fax numbers. We may also collect demographic information such as a customer's gender; age and occupation, to better understand our customers and service their needs and for marketing purposes. Visitors to the Mazda web site are able to send e-mails to third parties from our web site. These messages may contain the user's screen name and e-mail address, as well as additional personal information voluntarily included in the message.
Visitors to Mazda's web site are not required to register or provide personal information to gain access. However, as Mazda's web site evolves and becomes more interactive, and as the web sites becomes a repository for increasingly personalized customer information, Mazda may require visitors to register and provide user identification or authentication information. Such information will be required in order to secure and prevent unauthorized access to or theft of this information and for no other purposes.
Service data recorders (SDR) in your vehicle are capable of collecting and storing diagnostic information about your vehicle, which may constitute personal information. This may include information about the performance or status of various systems and modules in the vehicle, such as engine, throttle, steering or brake systems. Your Mazda dealer may access and collect this vehicle diagnostic information through a direct connection to your vehicle during the servicing process. The only circumstance in which this information may be disclosed to Mazda is in connection with providing service in relation to your vehicle, except as otherwise required by law.
Other modules in your vehicle, including event data recorders (EDR), are capable of collecting and storing data during a collision or near collision. The modules may record information about both the vehicle and the occupants, potentially including information such as:
- how various systems in your vehicle were operating;
- whether or not the driver and passenger seatbelts were buckled;
- how far if at all the driver was depressing the accelerator and or the brake pedal;
- how fast the vehicle was traveling; and
- where the driver was positioning the steering wheel.
Special equipment must be directly connected to the recording modules to access EDR information. Mazda does not access, collect, use or disclose EDR information without your consent, unless required under court order or else where otherwise required by law.
- How is personal information used?
Mazda may collect personal information in the circumstances described in paragraph 1 above. Information collected by Mazda is used only for the purpose identified at the time of its collection.
In the case of personal contact information provided in conjunction with "join our mailing list initiatives" or other marketing initiatives, you can unsubscribe to any Mazda subscriptions by contacting the Mazda privacy officer by clicking on firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1-866-864-3536 or by writing to us at: Privacy Office, 55 Vogell Road, Richmond Hill ON, L4B 3K5.
- How long does Mazda retain your personal information?
Consistent with Canadian privacy law, Mazda retains your personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the stated purpose for its collection and use. Customer personal information collected for vehicle warranty administration is retained for ten years. Mazda reserves the rights to otherwise retain your personal information as may be required or permitted by law.
- Accessing and updating your personal information?
You have the right to access, verify and amend your personal information collected by Mazda. To help us keep your personal information current, contact the Mazda Privacy Officer at email@example.com or call us at 1-866-864-3536. When requested, Mazda will suppress identifying information from current operational systems for the purpose of mailings or other communications except in the case of recalls or other similar events.
Mazda assumes no responsibility for verifying the ongoing accuracy of personal information. Once advised that personal information is inaccurate, Mazda will amend the information and correct it with information provided by the customer.
- How is my information secured?